Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Value of Health

Some years ago, I translated into English an old Greek series called "Loxandra" (pet name for Alexandra, f. for Alexander). It takes place shortly before the expulsion of all Greeks from Constantinople at the beginning of the last century, and is a fantastic portrait of the way of life of the Greek community in Asia Minor at the time.

What does all this have to do with health? I'll tell you. Loxandra's husband relates an old adage about the value of health and since health is a huge concern of mine, I thought I would repeat it. It goes like this...

"When you have health, you have one (1).
When you also have a house, you add a zero (0) and it becomes a ten (10).
If you have money, you add another zero and it becomes one hundred (100).
The more things you have, the more zeros you add.
However, if you don't have your health, you no longer have the one (1).

All you are left with is a whole lot of zeros."

I wish you the best of health!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you well.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.